This recipe was submitted by Pam Blanchard of Plaquemine, Louisiana and serves 6-8 people.
* 1 (9 inch) pie shell, partially baked
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1-1/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 3 eggs, slightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1-1/2 cups pecans
* Prepare partially baked pie shell (bake for 3 or 4 minutes at 450°).
* Cook butter, sugar, and corn syrup over low heat until butter melts (do NOT let mixture boil). After cooking, allow the mixture to cool slightly.
* Stir in eggs and mix well.
* Add vanilla and pecans.
* Pour filling into pie crust.
* Bake at 375°F for 40-45 minutes (pie should still be soft in the center when removed from oven).
Basic Pie Crust (Yields 2 9" crusts)
* Basic Pie Crust Ingredients
o 2 cups flour
o 1 teaspoon salt
o 2/3 cup shortening
o 1/4 cup cold water
* Basic Pie Crust Cooking Instructions
o Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
o Cut shortening into flour until mixture is the consistency of a course meal.
o Add water, mixing until dough forms a ball.
o Roll between 2 sheets of was paper or on lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
o For baked shell, prick with a fork and cook 10-12 minutes at 450°F.
St. Peter Claver entered the Society of Jesus in 1602. Through prayerful discernment St. Peter Claver followed the call to work in the Mission of Columbia where he served until his death working with the African American slaves. He vowed to be "the slave of the blacks for ever". Peter was canonized in 1888 and in 1896 Pope Leo XIII declared him the "special heavenly patron of all missions to the black peoples".
Copyright 2020· All rights reserved